Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I was diagnosed via blood test over 20 yrs ago with Hashimoto's or 20 yrs ago but was never referred to an endocrinologist, nor was the importance of ongoing care impressed on me. I had several periods during my childhood and well into my adult life where I was either bone thin or significantly overweight.

About 4 yrs ago getting Armour became difficult and my MD put me on levothyroid, and then refused to put me back. Since then I have had to have it adjusted down twice. Both times were accompanied by severe large joint pain. Now I am having symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis and swelling, pain, in my knees and tremors in my calves at night. Some days I am almost bedridden and wracked with pain and barely able to walk. I am no longer to live alone.

I am wondering if this is due to the levothyroid? I discussed these symptoms with my current endocrinologist, (I have only seen him once). He was much more focused on verifying my diagnosis and sending me away with no answers and refused to change back my prescription. He did an ultrascan and brought in two other endocrinologists who looked at it and agreed that I had the proper diagnosis. He ordered some blood tests that were normal and now here I sit with no follow up or remediation.

If it is not specifically the meds, then I may be developing more issues that he is not fully prepared to address.

Is there anything I can do or say to get referred to an immunologist?
Thanks, Liz

· Registered
75 Posts
I'd suggest that autoimmune diseases flare up and destroy joints. I'm having to take prednisone just to keep the secondary problems associated with Hashimoto's in check somewhat. I gave up on T4 therapy and switched to T3. It has some advantages for someone like me with multiple autoimmune diseases.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts