Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Super Moderator
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound totally weird, but does anyone else notice that they have extremely vivid dreams when their thyroid is acting up?

I usually dream a lot as it is but whenever my thyroid is out of whack my dreams get very intense and they seem to have a common theme--I'm always looking for something or I've lost something really important that I need right away. It's so odd!

· Premium Member
19,327 Posts
jenny v said:
This may sound totally weird, but does anyone else notice that they have extremely vivid dreams when their thyroid is acting up?

I usually dream a lot as it is but whenever my thyroid is out of whack my dreams get very intense and they seem to have a common theme--I'm always looking for something or I've lost something really important that I need right away. It's so odd!
I know the feeling. Yes; a whacked out thyroid does affect REM thus your dream states.

· Super Gold Veteran
1,552 Posts
Awwww, let's not blame it all on the poor thyroid.

40 Posts
Maybe. I had really vivid dreams (so real that they often scared me) during my first postpartum hyperthyroid episode. They went away, and about the time that my thyroid started acting up again, they came back. I never really thought of them as connected to my thyroid, but they could be.

· Super Moderator
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's weird how everything can be connected, isn't it?

I normally have pretty vivid dreams when my thyroid isn't acting up, but when it is, look out! My dreams almost seem real and seem to have a running theme of me desperately searching for something (and are sometimes interwoven with something I've read or watched right before bed--I had a real interesting one this week involving JR and John Ross Ewing from "Dallas"!). It's just so weird!

539 Posts
I hadn't noticed a particular connection, but I honestly haven't had much of a problem since having my TT. It's entirely possible, tho!

· Super Gold Veteran
1,552 Posts
Here's a little stat worth remembering:

85% of all overweight people have had vivid dreams or nightmares. Turns out it may have to do with sleep apnea. So maybe it's not thyroid at all.

· Registered
1 Posts
Here's a little stat worth remembering: 85% of all overweight people have had vivid dreams or nightmares. Turns out it may have to do with sleep apnea. So maybe it's not thyroid at all.
Although not overweight and 3 sleep studies later, no sleep apnea that rises to the diagnostic level for apnea. If my sleep dream thing could be explained by thyroid rather than other worse options, I'd take the explanation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts