Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been asked before or if this is the wrong place to ask, but recently I have been to my GP regarding irregular menstrual issues. After not having a proper period for 4.5 years (post baby), in January this year, I started having light bleeding that was also kind of sporadic. I would bleed for a day or two, stop for a day and then beed again for the few more days before stopping for a 2 to 3 weeks and repeating all over again. My GP ordered me to get a blood test done, which came back with normal T3 and T4 levels but my TSH levels came back at "around 11" according to my GP. They have started me on 25mg of Levothyroxine and I have to have blood tests again in 6 weeks time. My GP said she couldn't say for certain if the subclinical hypothyroidism is what is causing my sudden menstrual bleeding but wanted me to just keep a log of when I bleed and to review it after my next blood test.

I guess my question is... has anyone ever had menstrual symptoms when being diagnosed with SCH? There are very conflicting articles online as to whether SCH actually causes obvious symptoms or not. I do have difficulty sleeping (put that down to working full time with a young child) as well as being easily irritated (put that down to personality xD).

It's also worth mentioning that I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism when I was 15/16 years old (so a good 13 years ago now!) and I was slowly weaned off the Levothyroxine and Carbimazole medication and all blood tests remained steady and have not been on any thyroid medication since (well, except for now).

Thank you in advance!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts