Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - Just a quick question regarding switching doctors. I've posted before that I've been seeing my primary doc. for several years, and during the past 2 she has been checking my thyroid as she admitted that my free T3 and T4 were low (but not out of range). My TSH has always been around 1.5-2, but with my last set of labs, jumped to 3.9 (lab reference range begins at 5). TPO also tested at 40 but was below my lab's min. range of 60. She still does not think that I am hypothyroid, despite low body temp, fatigue, headaches, some hair loss, and a gain of 7 lbs. over the past few years.

Anyhow, I am ready to switch docs and am just wondering if I should be upfront about my history with my past doc., and share my lab results from my current doctor's practice with her, or do I start over and just present my symptoms to her and see where she goes with it all? I supposed I should check with my insurance to see if I can even have the same labs run again in a short time period. We hit our medical deductible a while ago so the cost isn't an issue for me unless insurance were to refuse it. Anyhow, I think I'd feel very odd not mentioning that I am there for a second opinion - just wasn't sure if it made any difference or not in how I present my story.

I'm very gun-shy about all this right now and find it hard to advocate for myself since my past doc. always seems to chalk my symptoms up to stress. When I mentioned my weight gain last time, she also balked at that and started questioning me as to whether I was "preoccupied with my weight gain" and actively trying to lose it, which she advised me not to. I get that I was really lean before (I am a marathon runner) and I know my weight is still just fine - I only mentioned it because a 7 lb. gain with no changes in diet or exercise seemed unusual for me. Sorry this turned into a not so quick question - just frustrated with how this has been going and want to try and make the next visit with a new doctor go as smoothly as possible.

·
Super Moderator
6,662 Posts
You can take your last lab's but your new doctor will want to run their own labs.

You are symptomatic and have lab's to support being hypo. In range - yes but low range for FT-4 and FT-3 with symptoms is hypo. A TSH of 3.9 is also high thus - hypo.

·
161 Posts
Yes bring your labs....I think that shows that you have been dealing with this issue for a while and if the doc tries to pin it on "stress" you can always say you have taken great measures to reduce it like meditation, time to yourself...etc...and while that has been nice and all, it has not helped with low body temp, fatigue, hair loss, and headaches...

I have found that asking a pharmacist can help pin down which docs are prescribing thyroid hormone (especially natural ones such as Armour and Nature-throid). Also google doctors in your area that prescribed bio-identical hormones...they usually do keep on top of thyroid matters and are more apt to prescribe thyroid hormone...because after hormones are all connected...

I hope you get some answers....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts