Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mid-October I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and my doctor put me on 25mcg of synthroid. I was supposed to get my period October 31st and have still yet to get it.

My menstrual cycle has always been irregular (except when I was on birth control), and before the thyroid medicine I had 40-48 day cycles.

Nearly all my other symptoms from hypothyroidism have disappeared since starting the medicine.

Should I be concerned? Could it be that starting the prescription so close to the end of my cycle caused it to reset and I just need to wait longer? Has anyone else experienced irregular periods while on synthroid?

(and before anyone asks, no I'm not pregnant and yes I'm sure!)

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
Syferix said:
Mid-October I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and my doctor put me on 25mcg of synthroid. I was supposed to get my period October 31st and have still yet to get it.

My menstrual cycle has always been irregular (except when I was on birth control), and before the thyroid medicine I had 40-48 day cycles.

Nearly all my other symptoms from hypothyroidism have disappeared since starting the medicine.

Should I be concerned? Could it be that starting the prescription so close to the end of my cycle caused it to reset and I just need to wait longer? Has anyone else experienced irregular periods while on synthroid?

(and before anyone asks, no I'm not pregnant and yes I'm sure!)
It would be wise to wait another month but if nothing happens at that point you might want to see your gynecologist.

When are you due for thyroid labs and titration of your Synthroid as needed?

Do you have recent lab results and ranges you could share w/us?

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Several of us have talked about this lately...after starting meds, our cycles have been a bit out of whack. I doubt it's anything to worry about, and it will probably take a few months (or several months) to get back to normal.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

Still no period, but if I were to reset my cycle from the day I started my medicine, I'm only 36 days late. Hopefully I'll get it in a week or so.

I'm due to get labs done so I need to talk to my doctor anyway so I'll be sure to mention it and see what he says.

Keep you all posted!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Octavia said:
Several of us have talked about this lately...after starting meds, our cycles have been a bit out of whack. I doubt it's anything to worry about, and it will probably take a few months (or several months) to get back to normal.
Yup, I went two months without a period. She finally reared her ugly head this past month. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts