Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Aw, dang, I'm sorry you still feel bad!

What do your labs look like?

There's no reason you should feel this bad. When my labs were off, I couldn't do more than four or five jumps either. Three weeks ago, I was at a show and rode four different horses so there is hope...I just suspect your doctors aren't properly medicating you.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Oh man...not only is your t3 way too low, but your free t4 is way too high.

What happens if you stick with 150 everday?

Reactions: Lovlkn

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Going with 150 of levo and 15 of Cytomel makes a lot of sense to me. It IS crazy that you have to self-medicate, but I really do think the small adjustments will help tremendously.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Glad you are hanging in there. :) In November, you might want to discuss a *slight* reduction to your t4 meds. That free t4 is creeping up there and if it gets too high, you can have lots of unpleasant symptoms.

Reactions: Octavia

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Did the oncologist give you a target range for the TSH? I know some just go with the "the lower the better" approach.

There are a lot of doctors who appreciate that a patient's quality of life often suffers significantly when the TSH is that low and doesn't really have a impact of recurrence rates. http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ATA/42381

I'm sure I've posted this before (and I apologize for the repetition...I also acknowledge that this comes from the American Thyroid Association, which your doctor might not subscribe to...):

http://www.thyca.org/pap-fol/more/tsh-suppression/

The American Thyroid Association's Guidelines (2009) make several recommendations regarding TSH.

For initial TSH suppression, for high-risk and intermediate-risk patients, the guidelines recommend initial TSH below 0.1 mU/L, and, for low-risk patients TSH at or slightly below the lower limit of normal (0.1-0.5 mU/L). (Recommendation 40).

For long-term management, the guidelines recommend (Recommendation 49):

• In patients with persistent disease, the serum TSH should be maintained below 0.1mU=L indefinitely in the absence of specific contraindications.
  • In patients who are clinically and biochemically free of disease but who presented with high risk disease, consideration should be given to maintaining TSH suppressive therapy to achieve serum TSH levels of 0.1-0.5mU=L for 5-10 years.
  • In patients free of disease, especially those at low risk for recurrence, the serum TSH may be kept within the low normal range (0.3-2mU=L).
  • In patients who have not undergone remnant ablation who are clinically free of disease and have undetectable suppressed serum Tg and normal neck ultrasound, the serum TSH may be allowed to rise to the low normal range (0.3-2mU=L).

About 85% of postoperative patients are low-risk, according to the guidelines.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Well, dang. I hate not being able to sleep.

Taking t4 before blood tests shouldn't change the result, really, since it takes a long, long time for that number to move. I think I would be inclined to decrease the t4 to 137 and stay on the dose of t3. Regardless of how you process medicine, I don't think anyone could sleep well with a free t4 that high. :)

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Nice!!! I hope this helps. If not, there's always wine. :tongue0013:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Great news! My first run once my meds were straightened out was terribly slow...but no matter how slow you were going, you were still running circles around anyone who was sitting on the couch. :)

Reactions: Octavia

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I was caught in that cycle for a little while. Don't go full out, but if you can, keep moving so the doctors can figure out what dose you SHOULD be on. :)

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I totally and completely understand. My numbers change drastically when I do or don't work out. Just keep feeling it out. When you feel better and get on a larger dose, try walking again. You'll probably have a dip again...increase the meds as needed and try it again. You will find the right spot but it takes forever and a day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts