Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I have been looking around for some sort of group where I could relate to others about my thyroid issues and let me say I think I found the right place!

I am 23 and getting married in a few weeks so I already have a lot on my plate as you can imagine and then to throw this thyroid nodule on top doesn't make life easier.

I first found a "lump" below by jaw in March, figured it was just a swollen lymph node and would go away on its own.
May came and it was still (also I began to notice how tired/weak I've been feeling) there so I decided that I should bring it up to my doctors, being young and pretty much "healthy" (few chest pains and stomach issues but nothing major) I hate going to the doctor because they make me feel like I'm just overly worried about anything I have.
My doctor was out of town so I saw the "stand-in" doctor who humored my persistance about feeling fatigue and said if I waited a month and it was still there he'd order an ultrasound.

Beginning of June still the lump was still there so off to radiology I went for an ultrasound
They weren't so much concern about the lump I could feel but instead about the one I couldn't, the found a 1.1 cm mixed solid/cystic nodule on my left lobe.

Doctor still wasn't too concern though so he told me to wait 3-4 months and go back.

September- I get called to come back in for another ultrasound. These are the findings

The right lobe of the thyroid has a normal appearance and measures 4.6 x 1.2 x
1.5 cm.

Left lobe measures 4.6 x 1.3 x 1.8 cm.

A poorly marginated heterogeneously solid and cystic nodule is present within
the left lobe of the thyroid, measuring 9 x 11 x 7 mm. This is heterogeneously
hypoechoic with respect to the adjacent thyroid tissue. No peripheral or
punctate calcifications. Peripheral and mild central vascularity is present.

The isthmus has a normal appearance measures 1.9 mm. A benign appearing lymph
node is present in the left submandibular area with a short axis of 7.6 cm and
a well defined cortex.

Now today I met with the endocrinologist that my primary care referred me to and he schedule a FNA biopsy (9/27)
He never mention anything like hyper/hypothyrodism. He just kept asking me if cancer ran in my family.
I know the chances of cancer are low but I'm just overwhelmed and I find out the results of the biopsy on October 5th, the day before my wedding!!

I'm just concerned about the swollen lymph node that has been there since March, which was the first reason I went into my doctors before they even found the nodule. I feel like they keep brushing it off but it's not normal to have a lymph node swollen for 6 months?!

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm new to all this so any insight is truly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
nina207 said:
I have been looking around for some sort of group where I could relate to others about my thyroid issues and let me say I think I found the right place!
What, HERE??? ;)

Welcome, nina207!

Okay...I totally understand your concern, and I feel you are correct in being concerned and getting it thoroughly checked out. Overall, it sounds like you have a good plan right now. Having said that, however, may I make a friendly suggestion? Do you think you can convince yourself to wait until after your honeymoon to get the FNA biopsy? I know the unknown can be difficult, but, and I say this in the most caring way I can over the internet, waiting another month to move on this is not going to hurt, UNLESS you are sensing some geniune sense of urgency from your doc (I say this because there are a couple types of thyroid cancer that are VERY agressive, but they are also very, very, very rare).

Right now, your nodule is barely large enough to biopsy--the "general rule" is it needs to be at least 1 centimeter. Are they also going to biopsy the lymph node?

Often, the FNA will cause some bruising and/or swelling...not much, but definitely not something you want to have to worry about on the most important day of your life so far, if it doesn't heal in time. Plus...do you really want to risk hearing bad news on the day before your wedding? Odds are very much in your favor, but honestly, what if??? On the very-off-chance that it is cancer, even if you're prepared to hear it, actually hearing it is a shock to the system (been there, expected it, then heard it...and then it was "real" with no hope of a chance anymore that it wasn't cancer...believe me - anticipating hearing it and actually hearing it are completely different).

Why take the chance of dramatically shifting your attention to this problem, when you have planned, planned, and planned for your perfect day? Do you feel like you can wait just a little bit longer?

·
Banned
81 Posts
Lymph node and thyroid may not be related because in event of cancer the lymph nodes at the base of the neck are usually involved.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
angel1976 said:
Lymph node and thyroid may not be related because in event of cancer the lymph nodes at the base of the neck are usually involved.
Yes.

I had a swollen lymph node under my jaw. It was totally unrelated to my thyroid cancer (which did have lymph node involvement).

I also agree with Octavia. Even if the news is not so great, remember thyroid cancer is very slow growing. You can wait. It might be a good idea...go, get married and enjoy yourself. Then when it's all over, you can focus like a laser on the punky thyroid. :)

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
joplin1975 said:
Yes.

I had a swollen lymph node under my jaw. It was totally unrelated to my thyroid cancer (which did have lymph node involvement).

I also agree with Octavia. Even if the news is not so great, remember thyroid cancer is very slow growing. You can wait. It might be a good idea...go, get married and enjoy yourself. Then when it's all over, you can focus like a laser on the punky thyroid. :)
That's good to hear about the lymph node- it just seemed a bit odd to me for how long its been there.

I really wish I could wait until after the wedding to get this all done but because of insurance reasons I have to do it before the wedding. I have really great health coverage right now but it's from my fathers plan when he was in the military, since I'm still a fulltime student I was able to stay on it but once I'm married I get the boot from the plan.
I dont know how long it's going to be for me to become active on my future hubbys plan but I thought it was best to get as much done as possible before.

Anyone else experience extreme fatigue or weakness? I feel "slower" then I use to be...I have to plan my days now around how much energy I can muster up. I use to be go go go. Nowadays I barely can get out of my apartment without it being a daunting task. :(

·
Veteran Member
121 Posts
I have a nodule .4 solid. I have also had various lymph nodes that are hard and swollen. I still have on the side of my breast with pain and swelling but they are not concerned. I've had a mammo and ultrasound and considered biopsy. I have the same symptoms as you have had with the sluggishness. I am now on levothyroxine.50 mcg. I have been on it a little over a week so I cannot really say for sure how I feel. Still have the same symptoms mostly. It can take 4 to 6 weeks to work. I would get your thyroid levels checked and make sure your Doctor goes by the most recent reference range for TSH .3-3. Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming marriage. :). Please keep me posted.

·
Super Gold Veteran
2,766 Posts
Welcome! I can see why you don't want to wait on the FNA. Have it, get married, honeymoon and enjoy yourself. Deal with the results when you get back and settled. Don't let this get in the way of your big day.

There are a lot of us here that have had the "C" word results. We're here, we're happy and doing well...so don't let what could potentially be there infringe on what you have going on.

Thyroid business of all kinds often bring fatigue. It gets better!

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
nina207 said:
Hey Everyone,

I am 23 and getting married in a few weeks so I already have a lot on my plate as you can imagine and then to throw this thyroid nodule on top doesn't make life easier.

I first found a "lump" below by jaw in March, figured it was just a swollen lymph node and would go away on its own.
May came and it was still (also I began to notice how tired/weak I've been feeling) there so I decided that I should bring it up to my doctors, being young and pretty much "healthy" (few chest pains and stomach issues but nothing major) I hate going to the doctor because they make me feel like I'm just overly worried about anything I have.
My doctor was out of town so I saw the "stand-in" doctor who humored my persistance about feeling fatigue and said if I waited a month and it was still there he'd order an ultrasound.

Beginning of June still the lump was still there so off to radiology I went for an ultrasound
They weren't so much concern about the lump I could feel but instead about the one I couldn't, the found a 1.1 cm mixed solid/cystic nodule on my left lobe.

Doctor still wasn't too concern though so he told me to wait 3-4 months and go back.

September- I get called to come back in for another ultrasound. These are the findings

1.5 cm.

a well defined cortex.

Now today I met with the endocrinologist that my primary care referred me to and he schedule a FNA biopsy (9/27)
He never mention anything like hyper/hypothyrodism. He just kept asking me if cancer ran in my family.
I know the chances of cancer are low but I'm just overwhelmed and I find out the results of the biopsy on October 5th, the day before my wedding!!

I'm just concerned about the swollen lymph node that has been there since March, which was the first reason I went into my doctors before they even found the nodule. I feel like they keep brushing it off but it's not normal to have a lymph node swollen for 6 months?!

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm new to all this so any insight is truly appreciated!!

Nina.........................we are all glad that you have pursued this. I wish you did not have to wait 12 more days for that FNA. But, it is necessary. Unfortunately, vascular and solid are two words that tip off further tests such as your FNA.

You have come to a very very good place for info and support.

Congrats on your up-coming wedding. Not to worry; you will be a beautiful bride.

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
nina207 said:
Hey Everyone,

1.5 cm.

a well defined cortex.

I forgot to suggest some further tests.

TSI
Normally, there is no TSI in the blood. If TSI is found in the blood, this indicates that the thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin is the cause of the of a person's hyperthyroidism.
http://www.medicineonline.com/topics/t/2/Thyroid-Stimulating-Immunoglobulin/TSI.html

Trab
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17684583

TPO (antimicrosomal antibodies) TBII (thyrotropin-binding inhibitory immunoglobulin), Thyroglobulin Ab, ANA (antinuclear antibodies), (thyroid hormone panel) TSH, Free T3, Free T4.

You can look this stuff up here and more.........
http://www.labtestsonline.org/

And also, how do you feel? Are you symptomatic other than that lymph node on the jaw line?

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andros said:

Nina.........................we are all glad that you have pursued this. I wish you did not have to wait 12 more days for that FNA. But, it is necessary. Unfortunately, vascular and solid are two words that tip off further tests such as your FNA.

You have come to a very very good place for info and support.

Congrats on your up-coming wedding. Not to worry; you will be a beautiful bride.
Thank you and everyone else for all the support! I will keep you all updated.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I thought I would update since I just got some new results from my doctor.
I went to meet with my pcp due to extreme fatigue I've been experiencing and since fatigue is one of those symptoms that could be anything she ran a bunch of tests on me.

We discovered my fatigue was due to an extreme vitamin D deficiency. She prescribed me a weekly dose of ERGOCALCIFEROL at 50,000 units.

Tomorrow is my FNA so no new results regarding the thyroid nodule yet.

But I am curious if anyone who has been diagnosed with with a thyroid disease have you also experienced Vitamin D deficiency?

I'm not a vegetarian, I spend ample amount of time outside in the sunshine, and I have a pretty normal diet for a 23yr old. But I've been reading new studies that vitamin D deficiency may be common in thyroid cancer patients, it is already known to be caused in breast cancer, colon, and prostate cancer patients.

PS- does the FNA leave any scar/bruising or is it just small like getting blood drawn?

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
The FNA is highly unlikely to leave a scar, but it could leave some bruising. Mine left a small (smaller than a pencil eraser) spot of blood just under the surface of my skin. It healed within a week or so. Since you have your wedding coming up, just have some great cover-up ready in case you need it.

I do not recall getting my Vitamin D tested when my thyroid issues came about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts