Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone has addressed this, so apologies if so. I've been medicating my graves for about 12 years now and am leaning towards thyroid removal. My hope is I might be able to stabilize some nagging issues: minor anxiety, voice changes, muscle cramping, amongst a few other things. While my labs are stable and look good, I believe I am not. Wondering if anyone here was in a similar situation and how they/you reacted after having had your thyroid removed. Thanks in advance!

Jack

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm profoundly hypothyroid due to Hashimoto's and severe illness more than 25 years ago. So, I have absolutely no thyroid hormones. I would guess it's much like having thyroid removal. Getting my treatment correct has been an absolute struggle that took 25 years.

I am just guessing, but it is possible that your other symptoms are not thyroid related, but rather "autoimmune" related. In my case, I have many issues that are caused by my autoimmune disease. I now have to take 10mg prednisone to keep other symptoms in check.

I take 12.5mcg T3 (Cytomel) 6x per day (every 4 hours)

In the end, Synthroid (T4 only) was useless, Synthroid plus Cytomel (T3) failed quickly too. NDT (natural thyroid) was better, but still loaded with problems and I had to take it 3x or 4x per day just to be awake. Only the T3-only therapy worked for me.

I don't know how to advise you, but I would suggest that drugs don't work anywhere near as well as a functional thyroid.

If you can manage your autoimmune disease and manage your naturally produced thyroid levels to the normal level, why not do so?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts