Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on thyroid replacement for almost 20 years, using Levothyroxine, Synthroid and currently Tirosint. I have been on Tirosint for a couple of years with a dose ranging between 200 and 250 mcg and a TSH ranging between .9 and 3.1 or so. Recently, I started noticing my hands and feet were very cold all of the time, headaches, cough, joint pains, etc. so I asked my PCP for a blood test. I was amazed to find out that my TSH had shot up to 12. I also have Prostate cancer (Gleason 6 active surveillance) and my PSA had risen to 5.8 at the same time from the low 3's. I was taking 200 mcg of Tirosint at the time and so my doctor raised me to 225 mcg and told me to come back in 6 weeks for another blood test. After 4 weeks I felt worse so they had me come in for another blood test and now my TSH is up to 23.2. PSA went down slightly.

Any ideas? How high can I go and when do I need to start worrying? I know people who are untreated have TSH as high as 300-400 but I have never been above the 3's since I started taking meds. BTW, I had radiation for a chest tumor 20 years ago which essentially killed my thyroid which is what started it all. Currently my T3 is a little low and my T4 is in the range of normal.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Could you post the results of your t4 and t3 tests? TSH is really not helpful when trying to figure out doses,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts