Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My total thyroidectomy is in four days. I'm trying to stay calm but getting scared and nervous. I would love to have more prayers coming my way. Love to you all!

I will definitely post at some time after surgery.

Glo

·
Super Gold Veteran
2,766 Posts
I am sending thoughts & prayers for you. Try not to stress, I know easier said than done but it is not a terrible surgery.

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Sending prayers as requested. Best wishes. :hugs:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I don't pray, but I'll keep you in my thoughts. :) It will be over before you know it!

·
Super Moderator
2,964 Posts
Honestly, it's a pretty easy surgery, but make sure you let the anesthesiologist know if you get nauseous easily. I had a harder time with the anesthesia than I did recovering from the surgery!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ihmsa40.........thank you........Ill be waiting to hear how your consult went. Is it a consult for surgery?

jennyv........thanks...yes I do need to talk to the anesthesiologist because I had a laparoscopy years ago and I was vomiting for the whole day of the surgery and into the night from the anesthesia. They kept me in the hospital because of that. I think my surgeon said they also have a patch to put behind the ear. Was I supposed to talk to the anesthesiologist already? or is that the day of surgery?

I feel so great getting all these responses. Makes me less scared!

·
Registered
33 Posts
justmethatsall - I had a CT scan and the doctor says my thyroid is "pretty big" and he wants to see me so I can see the scan myself and we can discuss what I need to do now. I am assuming it will be surgery but I don't know for sure.

Why are you having a TT? Just wondering - like to compare stories.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was diagnosed with graves disease at least 15 years ago and had been on anti thyroid meds ever since. Also had mild thyroid eye disease at that time. I was very hyperactive thyroid at that time and very sick with it. Through the years I had a couple storms..............not fun at all. This time around...........it came back with a vengeance. Since July I have a huge goiter that I didn't have before..........hard to swallow eat breathe and sleep and my thyroid eye disease has gotten really bad. I was not getting better this time with the anti thyroid medicine only worse. But finally my tsh had budged but all of a sudden gone in the opposite direction. Now I am hypo. I never thought I would have to have it removed. I was always told that at some time it would eventually burn itself out and then I would go on the thyroid hormone. No such luck. I was waiting for that to happen but it never did.

Are you having symptoms? Have you been sick? You can always ask me anything. I like to compare too. Sometimes it really helps to know you are not alone.

Glo

·
Super Gold Veteran
2,766 Posts
Wow, you have had more than one storm? Yikes, one about did me in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh Webster2........aren't they just the worst. I am sure that I could have very easily died each time! I hope to avoid this during surgery by taking the potassium iodide for ten days before. I am in my 7th day now with the potassium iodide. Although now that I am hypo I don't know if we are still susceptible to a storm or not during surgery. Do you know?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had two eye surgeries for TED. I got really, really nauseous after the first one. I told the anesthesiologist about it when he met with me the day of the second surgery, and he put the scopalamine patch on then. It worked--no nausea! The surgeons also said they would worry about storm with elevated thyroid hormone levels, but even so, my FT3 was mildly elevated before the second surgery, and they all (surgeon, endo) felt there was not a risk of storm at that point. Hope that helps! And sorry you've had such a rocky journey. Prayers your way! :)

·
Super Gold Veteran
2,766 Posts
I am pretty sure if you are now hypo, you are not in any danger of a storm. I was hyper before surgery and did not even experience much of a thyroid dump after. It was nice to feel calm again. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm so glad the surgery is over! The sore throat is so bad though. Very hard to swallow anything even water. The surgery was 10/13. Does anyone know how long I will have this horrible sore throat? I will post some pictures of my thyroid/goiter when I am feeling better. I have some terrible brusing down into my chest aea. The surgeon said he will e-mail me some of the pictures.

Thank you all for helping me through this!

Glo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok I just had My thyroid totally removed, Im not gonna lie It Hurts,It wouldnt have been so Bad but they disregaurded That Morphine Gives me a head ache, So they started me on Dalada and Phenegran which made it so much Better. It made me get Motivated, I can move my Neck, voice soulds the same.When I went in to surgrey I was crying well they gave me some super Incouragement in the vein , So that all went Away, I am 18 hours out of surgrey and feeling great now. I will be praying for you all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Today is 2 days after surgery.Very hard to swallow. I cant seem to bring some stuff up from my chest (phlegm I guess) I am drinking the hot tea.

The first day wasn't to bad for me but the second day is harder.

I find that if I put my head all the way down towards my chest I can swallow easier.

Vicksay.........so glad you went through with it. I was afraid you were going to cancel.

I am taking the tums as advised by the surgeon. Having some small spasms in my hands and arms.

Soreness in my chest area.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
That's normal -- the phlegm and congested feeling. The respiratory therapist sent me home with one of those....um,things? that I was suppose to blow into every half hour or so, so get me to take deep breaths.

Have you tried straws? I couldn't drink without them.

Reactions: webster2
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.