Thyroid Disease Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing no one will have an answer, but its worth a shot...

My endo called yesterday to say that because of my latest blood work, they would like me to get a neck CT instead of my usual annual u/s.

I was in a meeting and couldn't talk, but I'm guessing there's an elevation in my Tg/TgAB (which was unstimulated). I'm going to call back to get the results today.

My husband, who is not in the thyroid field but is a PA, was all concerned that she went right to CT instead of getting an u/s. His argument is that a CT has radiation and given my semi-large RAI dose, we should be avoiding radiation unless necessary.

I did some quick reading last night and, if I understand everything correctly, it seems like u/s is good for finding cancer positive lymph nodes in the central compartment (but since I had a neck dissection, I don't have any nodes in the central compartment) while the CT is good at finding more distant mets. What I'm trying to figure out is if I have read the literature correctly? It's a super busy time at work, so I'm doing loads of skimming and not deep level research.

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
Sorry to hear this.

Same endo?

Let us know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tg = <0.1 or undetectable, as it has always been

TgAB jumped from <0.1 last year to 5.0 this year.

Yes, same endo. Heard back from my surgeon, who I adore, and he thinks a CT is the best option. Said it could be a anomaly or lab error, but that there is enough research out that has shown increases in TgAB fairly accurate measures of disease recurrence. So...next Thursday it is for a neck/chest CT.

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
Said it could be a anomaly or lab error
I guess you could order the test again prior to your scan??

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess you could order the test again prior to your scan??
I decided to just go ahead with the CT for my own sanity. :) It'll give me a semi-definitive answer and I like closure!

Reactions: Lovlkn

·
Super Moderator
2,964 Posts
Ugh, that stinks. Let us know how the CT turns out; I always wonder which is better in certain cases--CT or ultrasound. I guess a CT would cover a larger area in a shorter amount of time?

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apparently the u/s is good for normally abnormal thyroid tissue but it's not good to look for disease behind other structures like your voice box or clavicle.

You learning something new everyday!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts