Thyroid Disease Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Wow!!! I've never heard of this kind of severe outcome. I'm so sorry for all your suffering.

·
Super Moderator
6,662 Posts
Will be having surgery on 11/13/18. Never regained my voice back, both vocal cords were paralyzed from having my thyroid removed. I can barely breathe because it's so narrow and I got tired of the surgeon telling me to give it time, so I saw a new doctor on Halloween and he asked who did my surgery and said 'he's not retired?' I'm livid and feel betrayed. I was hospitalized in February this year and been to the ER twice in the last 6 months. I was told I can either have a permanent trach and I said NO! so on Tuesday he's going to cut one of my vocal cords and hopefully I can breathe again. I thought I had problems before my surgery, but I've got more now. I've had a hard time drinking/eating/pill taking as well. Choking sucks!
Oh my gosh! So sorry to hear this.

Prayers being sent the next surgery gives you some relief.

Might want to consult an attorney if you feel your first surgeon is negligent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Lovlkn, I am talking with an attorney, but I don't know if I have a case. The attorney said they read this isn't rare? I have a friend who needs her thyroid removed and she saw my old surgeon last month and I asked her to not mention me, but ask him if vocal issues happen and his response to her was 'it rarely happens!' It sickens me that this man is still practicing and I hope to God nobody is having issues like I am having. I am really depressed right now. I just want Tuesday to hurry up and get here.

·
Super Moderator
6,662 Posts
It does happen but it is extremely rare.

Consult another attorney. Possibly one who concentrates their practice on medical malpractice.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts