Thyroid Disease Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will try to be brief, but there are a lot of details. I am a 41 year old male, and I was in fairly good condition until this started. I started feeling crappy, fatigued, and generally run down about 5 years ago. I was having pvc's, bradycardia (in the 40's), and anxiety. I started seeing a cardiologist, which led to seeing 6 of them over the last 5 years. 2 30 day monitors, stress tests, echos, and even an angiogram all revealing no problems. About 3 years ago, I was diagnosed as hypothyroid ( TSH was around 9), started on levo. I noticed an improvement in the pvc's, but not much else really. The malaise and fatigue continued. In July of this year a couple things happened. My prescription was refilled with an alternate generic and I got heat stroke and severe dehydration at work. Since then I noticed that my heart rate would go up to about 130, I would turn ghost white, and start dumping cold sweat at the same time every day (about 1:00 pm). I was sent to Mayo Neurology, because I also started feeling this horrible "brain fog" or "dizziness". I didn't take my levo with me and skipped it for 3 days. The sweats, pale complexion, and high heart rate went away. I asked to be switched to synthroid, and I haven't had those specific issues since. I am really running out of energy to fight this thing anymore. The best short description I can offer is that I feel like I have had the flu for about 6 months. Extreme fatigue, tremors, "brain fog", random fevers accompanied by random temps of high 96's, extreme muscle pain, insomnia, etc. It was also discovered that I had hypercalcemia, and had two adenomas removed about a month ago.

Here is what has been looked at: complete demylenating disease testing (MS, Parkinsons, Etc. performed at mayo) Complete cardio workup-no problems, adrenal testing-showed good. Ferretin is good. D, B-12, and folic acid were all found to be low just prior to the hypo diagnosis, and I have been on supplements since. I will be seeing a nephrologist at the end of the month to rule out any issues there (had some strange labs). If this sounds familiar to anyone, please offer your thoughts or suggestions. current labs below:

THYROID PEROXIDASE (TPO) AB 12 IU/mL 0 - 34 IU/mL

T3 FREE 3.2 pg/mL 2.0 - 4.4 pg/mL

FREE T4 1.34 ng/dL 0.82 - 1.77 ng/dL

TSH

2.260 uIU/mL

0.450 - 4.50 uIU/mL

Reverse T3 16ng/dl 8-25ng/dl

T7 index 2.8

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hello from another 41 year old male. Your thyroid labs look pretty good. Have you had your TG antibodies done? Your TPO antibodies are pretty low.

Stick with it as it can take awhile to calm things down.

You may consider diet changes. That sometimes helps people who have not had luck otherwise. I know for me that seemed to turn things around. It can be pretty tough though and takes some time to get used to. Most people start by cutting out Gluten, dairy and soy (in that order of importance). It's something to consider. Just make sure you get enough calories each day if you do this. Low calorie diets are bad for this.

I also just recently changed to name brand Synthroid. I suggest sticking with that.

My other thought is, maybe something else is causing your issue (unless you were diagnosed with hashimotos). I'm not sure if any TPO means you are. My TPO was 1980 originally so it was pretty obvious. Heavy metals, toxins, etc? Mercury issues? Something to look into.

I had a lot of the issues you describe, but now I'm almost normalish. But my thyroid numbers have not come into range quite yet.

Keep at it and get support from forums like this.

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
I second the thyroglobulin test and possibly a TSI test - has anyone run an ultrasound on your thyroid?

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Ditto what Lovlkn suggests.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I asked the doc to run the other tests. I have had multiple ultrasounds, all clear. I am not convinced this is a thyroid problem, but at this point I have to find some answers. My quality of life is declining, and I don't have a lot of faith in the medical community at this point. To the point of toxin exposure, I have been exposed to way more than I should. Human remains, black mold, welding fumes, sewage, and multiple other industrial chemicals.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Have you had your testosterone tested?

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
T3 FREE 3.2 pg/mL 2.0 - 4.4 pg/mL

FREE T4 1.34 ng/dL 0.82 - 1.77 ng/dL
Quite possibly - a slight increase in your thyroid replacement hormone and raising your thyroid levels slightly might help you.

What brand and dose are you currently taking? Did you take the medication just prior to the lab test?

Right now both your lab results are "mid range". For some that works for many , they would still be symptomatic. Goal is to fall somewhere between mid and 3/4 range for both FT-4 ((1.29-1.5325)) and FT-3 ((3.2-3.8)). Since you are mid range and still having issues I would suggest a small bump up in your thyroid replacement hormone.

·
Registered
268 Posts
One thing I noticed when I'm low on the medicine is my heart rate is lower. Like I'm an Olympic athlete. I track my heart rate when I sleep. When I am on 88 my heart rate dips below 50 when I'm sleeping. When I am on 94 it stays between 50 and 60.

I understand some people also measure their temperature to see if it's low (I think they do this in the morning as they wake up).

Lovlkn is correct that some people do better at different thyroid levels. Everyone is unique which is one reason I think doctors don't do a great job treating this issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes testosterone had been tested. I take 50 mcg synthroid, and probably about 3 hours before labs. My heart sleeping is about 35. When I feel good between 68 and 72 during the day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also have any of you noticed a small bump in meds making the difference between feeling like death and functional?

·
Registered
268 Posts
It can make a difference for sure. Usually worth a try. Hyper symptoms (too much medicine) isn't fun though. It could take a few days to kick in. 35 sleeping heart rate is pretty low in general, but everyone is different on that.

My first doctor said most people feel better at a TSH .5 to 1ish. So it's possible you would be in that category.

One thing that helped me was taking a high quality multivitamin. I take a Whole foods over 40 mens one.

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
I suggest you skip thyroid hormone prior to your lab draw as not to get any interference.

Take after the draw.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts